Employment Opportunities at the Foundation
Headquartered in the Graham Visitors Center at beautiful Washington Park Arboretum, the Arboretum Foundation is an exciting place to work. One of Seattle’s oldest non-profit organizations, the Arboretum Foundation is staffed by a small group of dynamic, hard-working individuals who are passionate about our mission to preserve and enhance the crown jewel of the city’s park system.
The Finance Manager is a part-time position well-suited for an individual with at least 7 years of experience in the field of non-profit accounting. This position requires a person with seasoned judgment and experience in non-profit financial management who is well-suited to working in this fast-paced, small-team setting to meet the goals of the Arboretum Foundation.
The Finance Manager is responsible for the fiscal and monetary management functions of the Foundation. The Finance Manager shall be responsible for effective, open and timely communications with the Executive Director and the Board Treasurer. The Finance Manager shall manage financial data, reconcile bank and investment accounts, generate reports, make bank deposits, and issue checks.
The Finance Manager reports directly to the Executive Director. Responsibilities include:
- Work with the Executive Director regarding status of all aspects of Foundation finances including investments, cash flow projections, and Foundation fund balances. Assist the Executive Director with annual budget preparation, development of program budgets, and production of a 3-year budget projection for operating and capital budgets.
- Provide staff assistance to Finance Committee, including attending monthly meetings, preparation of accurate and timely monthly statements for the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Provide staff support to the Investment Committee, including reporting and analysis.
- Submit payroll records to payroll service. Reconcile and maintain payroll journals and records for General Ledger.
- Maintain financial accounting system. QuickBooks is the current software utilized.
- Prepare the annual financial statements and manage the annual audit ensuring accuracy of all information needed by auditor and reconciliation of accounts.
- Assist Executive Director in monitoring and overseeing a cash management system.
- Ensure timeliness of work and accounting functions.
- Provide assistance and oversight at scheduled weekend and evening fundraising events.
- Track balances in cash and investment accounts.
- Provide support to Board members and volunteers with responsibility for budget items.
- Track and insure compliance of all grant and contract budgets.
- File various Federal, State, and City reports and returns.
- Make deposits of all funds received by the Foundation including donations, memberships, event sales, and sales from various operations.
- Review account coding of accounts payable for General Ledger input, based on Foundation budgets and statements and produce all checks.
- Maintain files on receipts, checks, back-up documentation and invoices.
- Salary: DOE
- Position is approximately 60% time, with flexible hours; occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Benefits package includes medical benefits, vacation, sick leave, holidays and retirement plan.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- College degree and 7 years of experience preferably in non-profit accounting.
- Knowledge of accounting systems.
- Advanced computer skills using Excel, including familiarity with personal computer hardware and networked systems.
- Experience in budgeting, including integration of program budgets.
- Ability to work well with co-workers, volunteers, and visitors.
- Highly energetic and self-motivated; ability to work as an individual or as a team member
- Ability to adapt successfully to multiple tasks that occur in a rapidly changing environment
How to Apply
We will be begin to review resumes for this position starting December 18. To apply, submit a resume and cover letter by mail, email or fax to:
Attn: Executive Director Paige Miller
2300 Arboretum Dr. E.
Seattle, WA 98112-2300
Fax: (206) 325-8893
No phone calls please