Employment Opportunities at the Foundation
Headquartered in the Graham Visitors Center at beautiful Washington Park Arboretum, the Arboretum Foundation is an exciting place to work. One of Seattle’s oldest non-profit organizations, the Arboretum Foundation is staffed by a small group of dynamic, hard-working individuals who are passionate about our mission to preserve and enhance the crown jewel of the city’s park system.
The Foundation has an opening for a new Events Manager. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, s/he is responsible for the management and implementation of the Arboretum Foundation’s events program, which includes events ranging from plant sales, to the Opening Night Party & Auction, to cultivation parties. The individual selected must work well with staff, volunteers, donors, vendors, caterers, equipment rental companies, hotels, trade associations, collaborators of the Arboretum (City and UW), photographers, media, etc. Development staff are key members of the events team and will at times, depending on the event, take the lead on activities such as cultivation parties and stewardship opportunities, with consultation and support from the Events Manager.
• Working closely with the Executive Director and volunteers, develop, manage and execute objectives for events designed to enhance relationships with donors and maximize giving potential. Each event will require a detailed timeline with quantifiable objectives, progress and outcomes and individual budgets that must be followed.
• Work with the Executive Director to establish event budget. Maintain individual event budgets with reference to the annual budget(s) and prior years’ expenses & income. Compile all staff expenses and reconcile numbers against Finance Manager’s reports.
• Manage all aspects of certain annual events: Opening Night Party & Auction, plant sales, Arbor Circle event, member annual meeting, and other special events as designated. Create event objectives, develop timeline, manage expenses to budget, recruit and work with event committee, manage event logistics (set-up and clean-up of event, equipment and supplies orders, room reservations).
• Supervise part-time Events Coordinator whose primary role is to coordinate the auction and related revenue of the Opening Night Party & Auction event.
• Participate in event marketing plan and implementation, to include flyer or postcard/invitation design and print management, banner ordering and installation.
• Assess event materials; manage ordering, maintenance, and storage. Manage all event signage planning and execution.
• Negotiate contracts and in kind donations with material suppliers, entertainers, etc.
• Work with Volunteer Resources Manager to identify volunteer staffing needs for all events, develop training materials, and conduct volunteer orientations.
• Assist with the development of corporate sponsorships, their solicitation and benefit delivery for special events.
• Serve as a member of office team, assist in coordination and planning Foundation needs, attend meetings as required, and assist in answering office phone.
Desired Experience and Skills
• Bachelor’s degree and at least three years professional work experience.
• Previous fundraising event planning with positive results.
• Excellent computer skills: MS Office (Word, Excel) and database (we use Raiser’s Edge donor database and Greater Giving event management software), Adobe InDesign and Photoshop desirable.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent written and verbal skills.
• Experience marketing events.
• Strong project management skills.
• Initiative, ability to work with limited direction and supervision.
• Ability to prioritize and organize multiple projects, change work priorities as new assignments arise, meet successive deadlines, problem solve and multi-task.
• Work as a member of a team with a strong customer service orientation.
• Other duties as assigned.
• This job is physically demanding at times.
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
• Ability to be on your feet for 8-12 hours.
• Must have a current driver’s license and access to a car.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• Benefits include health insurance, vacation & sick leave, 10 paid holidays, employee-contributed retirement plan, automatic payroll deposit.
• Position is 40 hours/week; ability to work flexible hours, including occasional evening and weekends.
How to Apply
Screening will begin on Monday, April 27. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit electronic resume and cover letter to:
2300 Arboretum Drive East
Seattle WA 98112-2300