Headquartered in the Graham Visitors Center at beautiful Washington Park Arboretum, the Arboretum Foundation is an exciting place to work. One of Seattle’s oldest non-profit organizations, the Arboretum Foundation is staffed by a small group of dynamic, hard-working individuals who are passionate about our mission to preserve and enhance the crown jewel of the city’s park system.
Gift Shop & Office Assistant
The Gift Shop & Office Assistant is a full-time, nonexempt, hourly position, working a Sunday through Thursday schedule. It is well suited for an individual with either an associate or bachelors degree or equivalent experience, including bookkeeping or performing accounts payable and payroll. This position requires a person who is detailed oriented and personable, and will work well in a small-team setting to meet the goals of the Arboretum Foundation.
The Gift Shop & Office Assistant will help the Director of Finance manage accounts payable, reconcile bank statements, generate reports, make bank deposits, and issue checks. The assistant will also answer phones, help customers in our gift shop, and perform other clerical tasks as needed for the organization as a whole.
The Gift Shop & Office Assistant reports to the Operations Manager. Responsibilities include:
- Assist in management of the gift shop, including paying invoices, entering merchandise, preparing orders, training and assisting volunteers, visual merchandising, and troubleshooting systems.
- Under the supervision of the Director of Finance, perform all aspects of accounts payable including reviewing the account coding submitted by other staff members for accuracy.
- Provide other assistance to the Director of Finance, such as following up on accounts and pledges receivable, inputting data into excel spreadsheets, compiling payroll time sheets, entering data into QuickBooks, and compiling financial reports.
- Help board members, staff, and volunteers track actual expense versus the budget.
- Enter monthly sales tax information into the state online system.
- Assist the Director of Finance in making deposits of all funds received by the Foundation including donations, memberships, event sales and sales from various operations, including the Gift Shop.
- Prepare weekly gift shop deposits by taking daily reports and compiling them into weekly deposits using excel and entering the weekly information into QuickBooks.
- Perform account reconciliations as needed.
- Maintain files on receipts, checks, back-up documentation and invoices; reconcile credit card receipts.
- Provide assistance and oversight at scheduled weekend and evening fundraising events, which includes some light physical labor.
- Work with the Operations Manager to assist in office management tasks, including answering phones, opening and distributing mail, ordering office supplies, managing the office calendar, and other tasks.
- Salary: $20 to $25 per hour.
- Position is full-time Sunday through Thursday, with occasional evening work, as needed.
- Benefits package includes vacation, sick leave, holidays, medical benefits, and retirement plan.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Associate or Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of accounting systems; proficiency with Excel and QuickBooks software preferred.
- Experience working with volunteers or managing others.
- Experience in retail or customer service.
- Detail oriented and proven experience meeting deadlines.
- Comfortable handling confidential information.
- Self-motivated and ability to work as an individual or as a team member.
- Ability to adapt successfully to multiple tasks that occur in a rapidly changing environment.
Equal Opportunity Hiring
All applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran or military status or any other protected status. The Arboretum Foundation is dedicated to being an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply & Hiring Timeline
Applications accepted on a rolling basis, position to be filled as soon as is feasible. Thanks for your interest!
Submit resume and cover letter by mail or email:
Attn: Whit Carter, Operations Manager
2300 Arboretum Dr. E.
Seattle, WA 98112-2300
No phone calls please