NOTE: Due to health concerns about the COVID-19 outbreak, volunteer activities at the Arboretum are currently suspended, until at least May 4, 2020. Please check back then. We will also send out an email notification to volunteers as soon as we have an update.
Volunteering is a great way to meet new friends, earn community service credits, protect your local environment, increase your knowledge of plants and trees, and help maintain and enhance one of the Pacific Northwest’s great treasures: Washington Park Arboretum.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Helping your community maintain the grounds and plant collections in the Washington Park Arboretum by participating in weeding parties and other activities. A great way to protect the environment! The Garden Stewards program recruits volunteers to help care for historic Azalea Way and the new Pacific Connections Garden.
- Assisting with special projects and events such as the creation of our display garden at the Northwest Flower & Garden Show or participation in plant sales such as our annual FallAbundance in September. Cashiers, setup and cleanup volunteers, and hold area attendants, as well as other section volunteers are always in demand.
- Joining the Pat Calvert Greenhouse volunteers for propagation, potting, sales, and maintenance. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Increasing your knowledge of horticulture while potting and caring for plants donated by Arboretum members and the public. Volunteers work in the Plant Donations Nursery from March through October, on Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Working in the Arboretum Shop. Shifts are available from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 7 days a week. Training sessions and Arboretum Foundation membership required.
- Assisting with general office duties in the Arboretum Foundation office. Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Join an Arboretum Foundation Unit. Units are neighborhood-based groups supporting the Arboretum Foundation through volunteer activities, fundraising activities and more.
- Photographers for special events and graphic designers always needed!